How to Write Essay Title Properly
An essay title speak volumes about content of a paper. Title serves as a steppingstone or a pitfall to your essay. If you wish to succeed with your paper, take titling as an important step. This is because title is the first part that a reader sees, thus it is worthwhile to make it perfect. Titling has been described as one of the most essential parts of an essay writing process. To craft the perfect title takes time and diligence. In this post, you will learn about how to title an essay properly. A well-written title produces that “wow effect” that attracts readers.
Selecting a title is more than putting keywords together, it requires creativity. As a masterpiece needs an investment of hours so also does a perfect title. To choose the right title that makes people want to read your essay is vital to students, authors, freelancers.
Tips on How to Write Essay Title Properly
The different types of an essay have the same pattern or formula for writing their essay title . For every example from good essay titles, components are the same and they include:
- It must have a Catchy Hook: The hook acts like a bait that draws readers. It creatively introduces an essay to readers. Any good title must grab your attention immediately. The role of a title is more like that of icing on a cake. The icing presents cake to be beautiful to people.
Ensure the title grabs your readers’ attention enough to start reading this essay. Be that as it may, do not work hard in developing a great title while content does not reflect creativity or hard work invested in it. Put more work in arriving at a great hook when crafting the title. For example, Last journey: the tales of African migrants on the Mediterranean Sea. The phrase ‘last journey’ grabs attention since it portrays tragedy.
- It requires Topic Keywords: In a good title, topic keyword describes the essay in question. It identifies the concept under review. This component answers the question ‘What?’
- It must contain Focus Keywords: This component of a good title tells the place and time being reviewed i.e. it answers the question ‘When?’ or ‘Where?’ The two keywords mentioned here make a title more professional by supplying more information about the topic to the reader.
For better understanding let us analyze a simple title:
Classrooms without walls: Virtual Reality learning in the computer age.
Catchy Hook – Classrooms without walls
Topic Keywords – Virtual Reality learning
Focus Keywords – Computer age
Useful Rules on How to Write Essay Title Properly
Creating an interesting title can be an intriguing yet daunting task. However, there are certain rules to base your title creation on. Here are the basics of how to come up with a title for essay:
- Title every piece of writing: In the process of writing create exciting headings to give the paragraphs an identity.
- The title must bear the theme of the text: One important rule that you follow strictly is to choose a heading that summarizes the essay , How to Write Essay Title Properly. There is nothing more annoying than having one that does not relate to the content of the article. Avoid misleading your readers if your essay should be successful.
- Do not be myopic about the subject: Your lecturer or professor might have given you a topic to work with; this is called the working title , How to Write Essay Title Properly. Do not focus on it instead of writing down options that describe more than a topic. Use it to start your research and writing, and when you conclude, you can then creatively change the topic to arrive at your desired example.
- Capitalize all words with certain exceptions: Capitalize the first letters of every word in the title but do not capitalize pronouns, articles, prepositions, and conjunctions for instance How to Title an Essay, . If you are presenting everything in capital letters, then all should be in capital letters.
- Avoid underlining the title: Since topics come in boldface, underlining it will amount to over emphasis. Some authorities say if you must underline, do not bold.
- Review the final version of the title: Do not forget to do a quick review of the final version of the heading. Check for grammar, structure, spelling and so on. Re-read it in view to detect if heading did justice to the essay. Confirm if the topic is catchy enough to attract attention, How to Write Essay Title Properly. Check other keywords or phrases that can convey the message better to the reader. Ensure you insert quotation mark where you use other’s quotes.
- When using a colon in your title follow the rules: Since we are dealing with rules here, let us talk about the colon rule. When you have two eye-catching topics, separate them with a colon.
- Adapt examples of international writers: You can draw ideas off famous writers’ essays. Read essays of great writers check out their styles, borrow and adapt their ideas or techniques to give your piece of a professional look it requires.